Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Where I'm From




I am from story books,

From magic carpets and leprachauns

and tales that are not yet told.

I am from city lights flickering

Beneath the dark night sky,

Always wondering,

If Santa Claus would crawl through my windowsill



I am from the intertwining grapevines,

That hang on the walls outside

the basketball court

That I stare at when I feel

alone, defeated.


I am from the pearly-white lilies,

Whose scent is mixed with

The cold, frigid air on classic stages.

The sound of the cello combined with the smell,

could create an everlasting elixir,

that could cure me

From any wounds I bear.



I am from Christmas and New Years’ Eve,

From the bows and the ribbons,

From the decorations and the gifts.

I am from the wishes and shooting stars,

from the faraway dreams and goals

that I dream of,

Even if it seems impossible.



I am from the Chiu and Chen

from dark hair and eyes

thick bones and backbites.
I am from the strict rules and silence,

From work hard! And obey!

I'm from teachers and lawyers,

whose expectations are as tall

as mountains,

whose worry is written

across their faces.



I am from blurry Bible pages,

Pebble-sized Buddha miniatures,

And free Sunday mornings.

I am from the awkwardness,

that I face when the lyrics of "Praise the Lord"

are alien to me.


I am from green tea and paella,

From hamburgers and alfajores.

I am from trying different plates,

and swallowing the change.


I am from the wounds my cousin got in motorbikes,

for having the adventurous streak

inherited by our ancestors.

From the scars that my grandfather got in the war,

Fighting for a noble cause.



In the deepest part of my hidden drawer,

There is a locked chest.

With pictures of places I’ve passed through

And places that bear my mark.

Filled with unsent letters, contained feelings,

and memories in different languages.

Pictures of friends I’ll never see again,

And lost dreams.



I am from those moments,

Always hoping for a place to stay,

A place to call home.



For more "Where I'm From" Poems, click at this link: http://www.middlemindz.blogspot.com/#!http://middlemindz.blogspot.com/2012/05/where-im-from.html

4 comments:

  1. OMG! This poem is amazing! I like how you show how that you've never been in a place for a long time and that you have no place to call home. This is a really good piece of writing! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that poem is amazing! And the description and links add so much more depth to the poem. You did a really nice job of showing your emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emaaaaa!!! This is awesome!!! I love how you made the format your own! I love how not only you talked about your culture but also the importance of dreams! Very well done:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I concur with Gaetane, this is amazing! I especially like the melding of the two cultures without knowing where you truly belong.
    This is my favorite stanza:

    I am from green tea and paella,

    From hamburgers and alfajores.

    I am from trying different plates,

    and swallowing the change.

    ReplyDelete